The simplest Christmas roast to prepare (and one of the tastiest!). Our talented team of chefs take tender pork belly and stuff with white pepper, garlic, oregano, and fennel before carefully hand-tying.
- 1 Vic's hand-tied porchetta
- 150ml olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1 hour (plus, overnight drying)
- For the perfect crackling every time remove the porchetta from the fridge and packaging the day before you want to cook it. Place on a rack over a baking tray and pour over boiling water to open the score marks before salting.
- Pat dry and cover generously with salt. Place in the fridge uncovered overnight.
- An hour before you would like to cook, remove the porchetta from the fridge and wipe off the layer of salt with a paper towel.
- Rub the porchetta with oil and re-apply a fresh layer of salt.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 220°C (fan forced) or 230°C (gas) for 30 minutes.
- Turn down to 180°C and continue to cook for a further 25 minutes per kilo.
(For a 1.5kg porchetta that's another 37 minutes)
(For a 3kg porchetta that's another 75 minutes)
- Cover the pork loosely with foil and set aside and rest for 15 minutes - remember to remove the string before slicing.
* Cook the porchetta until an internal temperature of 70°C is reached. The pork will continue to cook as it rests.
Please be aware that this is a guide only. All ovens work slightly differently and this should be taken into consideration.