The ultimate Christmas centrepiece. These beautiful whole turkeys have been expertly prepared and are ready to roast.
- 1 whole turkey
- 1 egg
- 500g pork mince
- 100g blanched chestnuts
- 40g breadcrumbs
- 120g bacon (approx. 3-4 rashers)
- 2 eschallot
- 3 garlic cloves
- salt & pepper
- 150ml oil
- 250ml water
30 minutes per 500g
- If your turkey is frozen, you will need to start to defrost your turkey the day prior to cooking, by placing it on a tray in the refrigerator uncovered.
- Remove neck and wing tip from the turkey (these are perfect to use when making a simple gravy). Wash inside and out with cold water and pat dry. Season the cavity with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 220°C
- Stuff turkey loosely – as it will swell during the cooking process. Secure the opening with a skewer, or stitch it closed.
- Rub the skin generously with olive oil then season with salt and white pepper. Place turkey, breast side up in a roasting tray with a cup of water in the base of the roasting pan.
- Place the turkey in the lower third of the oven, this will mean the turkey will sit in the center of the oven. Roast at 220°C for the first 25-30 minutes until golden brown, then drop the temperature to 165°C.
- Baste regularly with cooking juices. This will keep your turkey beautifully moist.
- Before carving allow your turkey to rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Resting the turkey after cooking is important: it's the perfect time to finalise your other sides, and vegetables. Note: you can rest the turkey for up to 2 hours.
- For the most accurate reading - insert your thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh meat (located just below the breast meat between the leg and wing.
- Tip: leftover turkey is perfect for making Leftover Turkey Pie
* All poultry should be cooked until an internal temperature of 75°C is reached.
Please be aware that this is a guide only. All ovens work slightly differently and this should be taken into consideration.